Friday 30 April 2010

Driving in Cape Town



In spite of all efforts to navigate efficiently, the inevitable happened: we take a wrong turning and are instantly lost! We get up a one way alley to what is looking like the motorway. The mountain is spectacularly close and I could appreciate it more if it wasn't solid confirmation of our wrong direction.

This is when I really learn to drive and Beverly really learns to navigate. Thankfully, we have bought a road map in Canal Walk, so help is at hand. It's trying to work out where we are and where we want to be. We know where we don't want to be: on a motorway for the next 20km. Cape Town is a beautiful city. Bridges, palm trees, creative buildings, sunshine, clear skies and always the majestic Table Mountain who really owns the whole area and graciously gives us passage to be there.

We get out of immediate danger of detour and find some lesser roads to drive on. This is uncharted waters and it's exciting to read the store names and clock the churches. A man at the traffic lights is selling flags - big ones, South African colours. I'm very tempted, but our stress level is still too high.

I imagine what it would look like back in Ripley Terrace, but think of the luggage allowance which we're already exceeding having bought some more books. (Well, hey, come on guys, there's a whole new flat to fill!!) No, seriously, we needed another Bible because we couldn't bring all of the ones we wanted (weight of luggage, etc)
Harvester use NKJ, so we bought another to fit in with the Romans... (and the Corinthians and the Colossians and the...) (That's enough Books, Ed)

Beverly gets us out of trouble (as always) and the familiar bit of Cape Town comes into view once more. The great thing is: all this is done on the left side of the road, so even roundabouts are easy.

Home safe.

3 comments:

  1. Good Morning to you both...sorry I haven't blogged for a while but been extremely busy with other house...anyway I'm here now!It all sounds amazing and we're really happy for you....and Dunc if you can drive in Turkey,as you did,you can drive anywhere and on any roads after the state of ours!!!We have the Babadag mountain to guide us and you have Table Mountain (think yours is a bit bigger though!!)Everything takes time to get used to and you think you'll never find your way around but you do.....at least your language is the same!!Done any jogging on that lovely beach yet??You'll be able to organise and perform your "Heaven's Gates" won't you?Just rmember that little boy in it really did want to give his life to Jesus before he was run over by that truck with his Dad!!!So....he should be allowed in!!
    Anyway take care and be happy...as I know you are...we send you lots of love xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes navigating in a new place always takes some getting used to but you will soon find yourselves recognising things and all will be well. Goodness me you made your way home eventually what more could you ask??? Wouldn't mind a penny for every time I've got lost and found myself again. Its a creative journey as my brother says. Lots of love Mum/Pam xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bought the same map on my second trip and left it with Nola for visitors. My first trip I hired a car and after nearly half an hour trying to get out the airport car park I didn't feel my navigation skills were up to the job. I drove at 6 in the morning in the dark not knowing where I was going and trusting the Holy Spirit to show me. I found my way to the guest house and didn't get lost again.

    Enjoy the strange sights you'll see on the roads there

    ReplyDelete