Friday 23 April 2010

Spoilt!



We were watching the news and seeing all the stranded Britons being rescued in all sorts of ways - cruise ships, battle ships, trains...and when they interviewed some of the rescued people I was amazed to hear one woman complain that after all she had been through she was angry that she now had to queue to get aboard her rescue boat.

What?

Now I don't underestimate the terrible time these unfortunate people had been through, and this woman did not appear to have frustrated and ill-behaved children hanging from her arm and wailing, but to actually make such an unappreciative comment to the world's media leaves me speechless.
I was reminded of a story that Paul told us of his recent trip to the Philippines. The area he visited had been devastated by an earthquake and as he surveyed the turmoil he was amazed at the peoples' ability to stay cheerful and further moved to hear, transmitted over an old, crackling tannoy, the old Carpenters' song being relayed at full volume:
"I'm on the top of the world, looking down on creation and the only explanation I can find, is the love that I've found ever since you've been around is what puts me on the top of the world!"
We seem to have lost our ability to suffer anything if this woman is a representative of the Brits abroard.
Whatever happened to gratitude?

1 comment:

  1. True gratitude and even manners seem to have taken flight very often these days. However hpoefully your own flights will be peaceful and you will meet some interesting people along the way. Love Mum/Pam xx

    ReplyDelete