Wednesday 12 May 2010

Snapshots 2




We find somewhere that has mirror snoods. I go to the counter and profer a R200 note. I have to ask the lady an embarrassing three times what she is saying to me. She is asking if I have anything smaller because they’re not accepting R200 notes. I begin to look for smaller notes when another customer who’s had a bit longer to process the information than me begins objecting on my behalf.
‘You can’t do that. It’s legal tender. You can’t refuse to accept money. It’s the currency of South Africa.’
An argument ensues about forgeries and an e mail from head office. The man says it’s each person’s responsibility to check the genuineness of the money they’re given. They need an ultra violet scanner or special pen. I am silent, but I am agreeing with the logic of his argument.
In the end she accepts my R200 note.
I bore Beverly afterwards with a monologue about it all. What’s the point of being in business if you’re refusing sales? Perhaps, I should have put the mirror snoods back on the shelf and taken my R200 note to someone who wanted it?
I could have said, ‘We’ll this note came from Sainsbury’s, England. I think you’re pretty safe with this one!’
Later, someone else tells me the story about forged R200 notes flooding the country and people being put in jail if they were found with one.
There’s logic for you!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you didn't look like a forger!
    Different country- different rules I guess , but well done you for remaining silent.Glad she accepted your note in the end. It can't be very good for customer relations though.Take care- love from Mum xx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya - hope you got my last comment, as it has not come up yet. I think I just said I missed your updates and was glad to get a new one, and also that I missed the updates on the Harvester website, as they haven't done one since March. Maybe you could put in a request from me :-)

    P.S. You must send us a picture of the fitted mirror snoods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucy, know you're keen to get all the Harvester teaching you can and this conference we're in the middle of will be posted soon I know! I'm sure they will be very pleased to hear of such an eager following in the UK!Thanks for being a faithful follower! XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. That will be brilliant, I will keep checking the website for when it comes on. I have been listening to another great conference from Dudley over the last few days. Worship and teaching have both been amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete