Thursday 6 May 2010

*131*3#



Mobiles!
I’ve followed all the little diagrams to put in a new Sim card, in faith because people say that’s cheaper. The phone doesn’t work when I test it by ringing Beverly. I ring MTN (that’s who we’ve ‘migrated’ to now. At first (and second) try, I go round the automated merry-go-round with tons of information I don’t want and some I can’t understand.
Beverly has a listen and tells me to try option 5. She is right, as always, and I finally get through to a person. I explain my plight. She explains what the problem is and I don’t understand her explanation. Take it out. Put it back in. Switch it off. Switch it on. Put in the pin. Pull out the pin and throw the phone through the patio window into the heaving Atlantic Ocean. Hide under the duvet and wait for the explosion of a man on info overload.
She is very patient, though I can tell that her boss is over her shoulder breathing call quotas at her. I slow her down for a second explanation. No, the Sim card number is not the phone number. You need to put in:
* 131*3#.
She says it slowly, then more slowly and loudly, like talking to a deaf man. That does the trick and I with great joy I twig what she’s saying. Bring back the pips and Button A, that’s what I say.

6 comments:

  1. I remember the delights of servicing users when I was an IT Manager. I now am reminded why I left

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Duncan does that mean you now have a new mobile phone telephone number? I can totally sympathize with your frustration, new technology is wonderful when it works and an absolute pain when it doesn't
    Love Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi guys sorry to hear you,ve got cold Beverley and sorry to hear that you,re old Duncan and can't understand technology. ha ha.
    Well the weather here is horrid and the tention before the elections is electric, not really......apart from a man with a loud speaker in Ravensthorpe asking everyone to vote for him as they walk in the polling station......is that legal...im not sure. Im very aware as i write that you two are teachers and could be correcting my punctuation and spelling as I write. So may have to write in text language..... ive got lots of days off as annual leave as i accumilated them when i was off sick so i can keep track of you and what you're up to.
    Bradley and Lily just about to have a fight so im going to phone social services before they do, speak to ya soon Alisonx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one mean pic DUncan!!! You look scary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!

    I finally got signed up to the old Currys in Cape Town :)
    You seem to have lots going on!!
    Will be following closely over the forthcoming months....hoping to get a mention now I've joined...!

    Love
    Harry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallelujah! Harry is a follower!All prayers are answered eventually. Love you Harry and would LOVE you to be here too. Get saving up. Forget the Audi Quatro, I'd rather have you here! XXX

    ReplyDelete