Tuesday 4 May 2010

Our New Home


On line again but from the Hotel at the end of our apartment block!
Where are all the messages from my followers I cry! We went on line expectantly and there was only one message. Only one! Mind you, that one was a minor miracle as it was from Ruth Tate, who will be going cartwheels now as her message tells you!!
Come on you people, please write comments to us. They will appear as e mails and we then can read and publish them so it doesn’t matter which blog you comment on!
Into our second week now and settled in well. Bible School is amazing; there is so much to take in and we keep nudging each other and nodding at each other throughout the classes! We have classes on The Book of Acts, 1 and 2 Thessalonians, Church Management (VERY interesting!), Meditation and Revelation, Samuel, Saul and David, Colossians, 1, 2, and 3 John and Cults, Religions and Contemporary Errors. Each session lasts 45 minutes and there are 2 sessions every morning. We start at 8.30am and 8am with worship on Monday and Wednesday. This afternoon and evening are free time for us (unusual!).
We have had to do a lot of shopping (shame!!!!) to get ourselves sorted and we have just about got there! There are 4 Woolworth’s stores within easy reach of us! (That’s M&S to us Brits!) In fact, I can see one of them twinkling in the distance as I type this at the breakfast bar. I think you can see the bar in the photo above of our living room.
It is raining today and very windy. The wind is the thing out here and you have to hang on to your car door all the time when getting in and out. Duncan is doing really well with the driving. Not only does he have to negotiate a new country and new place, but also an automatic car and road works all over the place as they get ready for the World Cup!
Last night Aje picked us up and we went with him to begin the Foundation Course with a couple in Muizenberg (sp?). This is on the other side, at False Bay which is on the Indian Ocean. Another couple from church, Angie and Eric came with us and we had a really good night. God gave us words and pictures as we worshiped and we prayed with the couple and it was a very precious time. We are looking forward to going again next Monday.
We have switched allegiance from Costa to Mug and Bean coffee shops. The coffee is very good and they do a “bottomless coffee pot” you just have as many cups as you like! Duncan is very happy, especially as they do it with cream! They also do fantastic food! Yesterday, when we were DEFINITELY NOT having anything to eat, just a coffee, Duncan had bacon and eggs (2, sunny side up!) and all the trimmings and I had a warm, freshly baked scone the size of the Isle of Wight with butter, cream and jam!! Yum yum. Today, when we were ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY NOT having anything to eat, just a coffee we ended up with a burger with creamy mushrooms and a salad and do you know what, the burger looked exactly like it did in the menu and it was absolutely delicious! The best burger I have ever tasted. Pretty healthy too really, apart from the creamy mushrooms!
As I am typing this – in a Word document again and we’ll cut and paste it into a blog when we go to the hotel – Duncan is typing an e mail so news is getting out again!
Tomorrow we have Bible School and then a free afternoon (I think) then Households in the evening. On Thursday all of us women are going out for fellowship and food at Cafe 66 in Canal Walk. Yvette is picking me up. The men went there last week so it’s our turn this week. These things happen once a month and are very well attended. There were about 35 men out last Thursday!
Signing off now and toddling along to the hotel to upload and post the blog. Hope to hear from you all very soon. We may be buying time at the Mug and Bean so that we can Skype soon too. It’s very long and complicated and has lots of details of megs, gigs, data and time that I neither understand all nor want to understand, but Duncan says that would be the best and easiest way to Skype. So, I believe him and ask for no further explanation!

6 comments:

  1. The apartment looks lovely, what an amazing view! Sounds like you have a really full schedule, but are enjoying every minute!

    Could you let me know your email address? I have had a few things sent to me recently that I would have loved to forward to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to hear about Church managment, and Contempary errors!! Must say I know absolutly nothing about managment.
    Sweet stuff doesn't tempt me much, in fact if I have any it makes me feel sick. And I'm defo not allowed to have fat in my diet, I was given a whole list from my doctors of must not haves, and am still asking myself why isn't the weight going someplace else! When you are given the golden rule that works Beverly please please tell me!!!
    It's good to hear about your daily doings, it really is! Gives me things to think about.!
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning to you both...Poor Aunty Bev...only one blog!!!Well you have soooo much more news than us that's the thing!You sound very busy and your apartment looks lovely with amazing views AND the food sounds fantastic too.Glad you're both happy and doing what you really wanted to do in the church.You won't want to come back!!!As usual we're still really busy up at The Rock.Chuck's been polishing the marble floors for the last few days which entails getting on his hands and knees with a scraper first as our painter decided to drop paint on that when he did the walls etc....then with a machine we've hired cleaning and ploshing them.First he has to do it with acid and then with wax....takes ages.When he first started to use the machine it kept running away with him and whizzing round in a circle so he's named it The Bucking Bronco!!!!It was very funny...not that I dared to laugh at the time....he's got the hang of it now so that's ok.
    It's Chuck's birthday today...56...still a baby!!He's going to be having a busy day though with Bucking Bronco again!!
    Anyway the sun has just come up over the mountain so you'll know what time it is Bev....on the dot....as always...so better start the day.We send you lots of love as always.....Love from Me and The Birthday Boy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've discovered my regular eating place, Mugg and Bean. It was the first place I ate at when I went there and I use it when I can. The coffee is brilliant and food good. First time I went in 2006 most of the lunches during the celebration were held there. Its a good place to chat and relax. Took Annie there a few times last time we were there together.

    Views look great. Never been there when the wind has been so bad.

    Glad you're getting a lot of the word. It is what changes you.

    may God continue to impart and use you for His glory

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness me you do sound busy with all your new activities. You also sound very happy and are obviously enjoying what you are experiencing. I too am trying to watch my weight but regardless it seems to hang on in there!! It is housegroup tonight so today is clean up day - the spiders are doing a take over bid at the moment - don't remember ever seeing as many indoors as we are having this year.Tomorrow we are going to Wendy's for Calebs and in the evening Peter has his housegroup at Alisons and I am going to an Aglow meeting in the fire station, a new venue, where they let us have a free room, but don't have enough chairs for all of us so am taking 2 camp chairs. Peter will drop me off on his way and hopefully pick me up on the way back - we haven't done this before so will see how it works!Friday evening we are going to a Dewsbury Arts performance of "A Street Car named Desire" with Margaret and Richard. Saturday we hope will be a free day. Sunday we are having a baptism in the evening, Alex Hilton, Gervan,Anita (Tim Hard's Fiancee) and someone else, I don't know their name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry - last comment had a senior moment- forgot to sign out - Love to you both, from ,Mum/Pam and
    Dad/Peter xxx and BIG HUGS.

    ReplyDelete