Sunday 1 August 2010

The Price of Petrol



A tankful of unleaded cost me just over £40 which is dearer than South Africa by several pounds. That’s not unexpected, really. This was the first time I’ve filled up myself for over three months. As I watched the figures whizz round, I thought about how many petrol pump attendants there are Engen petrol stations across South Africa. How great the service is: petrol, oil, tyre pressures, windows washed and wiped – all done with a smile for a small tip. I also thought that it’s amazing the petrol companies employ so many people per garage – after all, it’s all automated in just the same way.
Here, in Morrisons, Halifax, there’s just one lady behind a glass screen that makes it look like a bank and the shop is freezing, thanks to the fridges. Driving away, I reflect that they probably pay her the equivalent of six or eight South African wages. Being typically British, I was uncomfortable at first with so much personal attention. Now I’ve gotten used to the service, I know which I prefer.

3 comments:

  1. Can you imagine what would happen to the price of petrol if you had to fund more than one lady's wages???

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Ireland when we went a few years ago - there was a fully modernised garage -yet there was still a man who put petrol in your car for you and passed the time of day - it was a far more friendly service than ours. So I guess everywhere has its own customs and ways of doing things. Love Mum/Pamxx

    ReplyDelete