Thursday 28 October 2010

My Recipe Book




I'm sure everyone has one - a book crammed with recipes found over the years and jotted down for future use. I am going to do some baking as we are going to Birmingham for a few days to see Graham and Annie and also to benefit from a few days' ministry with Apostle Andre and Prophet Nola who are visiting the UK.
So, I went to my trusty recipe book to decide what I should bake and it made me think and caused a bit of a trip down memory lane! As the date shows I began the book in 1982. I remember buying it in Habitat in Oxford when I was visiting my college friend Linda for a few days prior to going on to my sister's in Worthing. Happy days! I wonder what you are doing now, Linda. I so loved our times together, you were such an inspiration to me. You taught me the value of black pepper for one thing!
I started very neatly (as always) but as you can see, the splashes from countless ingredients over the years put paid to that. In fact, I think a new recipe might be: "Put entire recipe book in pan with a glug of olive oil and fry for 20 mins stirring all the time to prevent sticking!" There are so many different tastes on each page now.
So, I decided on the cakes to bake and then the other page, the menu page, fell out, revealing Harry's interest in food from a very early age. As you can see though, Harry was in charge of the menu!
He always was the boss, in all his imaginary games: School games - he was 'Mr Harry Corker, Head Teacher' with a string of letters after his name. Army games? Captain Corker at your service! Life boat fun - see Coxswain Harry Corker for info!! Looking at this menu brought the memories flooding back. I am in the garden at Glebe Gate and Duncan has just lit the BBQ (and, of course, it has begun to rain, the two actions were always synonymous!). I am in the kitchen getting the lamb "cutlers" ready in the mustardy coating that was so good on the BBQ and preparing the Banana Donkeys, as we called them. Happy days, happy days.
These bits of paper from the past are so precious, and I have drawers full of Harry's fantastic childhood drawings. But to come across such a treasure by accident, having forgotten all about it - priceless!
PS I hope he manages to use the apostrophe with more accuracy now!!

4 comments:

  1. This looks just like my mum's old recipe scrapbook, with lots of priceless hand written recipes in it, some of whose origins are lost in the mists of time. I must ask her if I can have a look at it sometime and resurrect some old favourites!

    Great to hear that Nola and Andre are coming over. I wish I could be there with you - have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lucy! Nola and Andre are here till Wednesday so if you're free and can make B'ham you'd be welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful......as you know I too have one....mines entitled "Lineicles Recipes"....so falling to bits now but with lots of handwritten ones from you from way back....and lots from Marie who was,as you know, a wonderful cook.I remember Harry's Lifeboat era...lasted for years.Happy memories as you say.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I have one too - as you say - full of happy memories - like Phil always loved spag-bog and Peter loves Mum's 'orrible little buns!! Mark loved apple pie and peanut butter and Duncan loved
    'meatoo' chips and peas.He used to stand in the back of the van and bang the back of the seat in front and shout it until we stopped and found some!! Love Pamxx

    ReplyDelete