Tuesday 1 March 2011

First Day!


Well, I've just waved Duncan off - his first day at school again! Bags bulging with lap top, books, resources, high lighter pens, sandwiches, tea bags, mug, AQA anthology.....all the necessary requirements of a teacher.
It's been a long year. In fact, it's been more than a year since Duncan was "employed". So it is with relief that we now have a source of income to pay the mortgage and still have the time to build the church - Harvester Reformational Church Halifax - blog link below. This will be his 'tent making'.
The teaching job was so incredibly God's provision and isn't Duncan's first calling as he has been called by God to "Reform, reform, reform", but he is a teacher of great talent and skill and God will use him in this school I have no doubt. He will be brilliant and that's not just the biased opinion of the wife who loves him, but a fact.
Yesterday he went in to school to go through the resources and was received by the pupils with warmth and affection; he will soon be a part of the furniture I'm sure. And his lessons...they'll rock! No boring fodder from my husband, no! He has all sorts of little bits and bobs to stimulate them and keep their interest. He prepared it all last night but even as he was walking out of the door he thought of a Simon Armitage poem that he could just toss into the lesson for the fun of it!
Simon Armitage - did I ever tell you that I taught Simon Armitage? Yep, taught him all he knows!!!

3 comments:

  1. As his Mum I do remember Duncan's actual first day at school - he told the teacher that he had come here to learn to read and write and had toys to play with at home - thankyou!!!!! love Pam xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Err who Simon Armitage? Will I get anything usefull if I Google the name? I'll have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooooooooh Barbara! Wash your mouth out! Yes, you will so do Google!

    ReplyDelete