Saturday 26 February 2011

World Book Night.

Let me introduce you to a dear, dear lady who runs the bookshop in Halifax - Fred Wade's Bookshop to be precise. We have often enjoyed a browse in this Olde Worlde Bookshop where unexpected delights await you around every corner and book shelf. So when I "won" 48 copies of Nigel Slater's "Toast" to give out on World Book Night and was asked which bookshop the books should be delivered to, Fred Wade's was of course my choice.
We picked up the books yesterday and found the ladies in the shop surrounded by, tripping over and drowning in boxes of books for the event, all "won" by Halifax residents. Were they dismayed at the chaos this had caused in the shop, for a number of days? Not a bit of it! They were: "delighted to be able to help and to be a part of it all!"
The assistant wouldn't hear of us carrying the box, but she grabbed it and took it to our car and then gave us an extra bag full of books for the children's ward!
I'd better explain.
 In order to "win" the books I had to apply at the beginning of January stating:
 1.) Which book from a selection of 25 I had a passion for.
 2.) Why I wanted that particular title.
 3.) Where I would be giving the books out on March 5th. and why there.


 As you can see, I chose "Toast" by Nigel Slater.
I have a number of reasons for choosing this title. Firstly I so enjoyed reading the book, as I enjoy everything by Nigel Slater. His cookery books are like novels to me and they completely absorb me when I read them.
I used extracts from "Toast" when I was teaching English. The Y11s had to produce a piece of imaginative writing and the extracts were a really good stimulus. Remember this when you read about the marshmallows in the book! You WILL read the book if you haven't already!

I wanted to give the book out to people in Huddersfield Royal Infirmary if I were selected to be a "winner". I explained that Duncan was a voluntary Chaplain at the hospital and that 'toast' had fond memories for me when I have been in hospital.
Firstly because when I had day surgery I wasn't allowed to go home until I could eat, and keep down, a slice of toast, but more importantly, the role toast played when I was in coronary care in Dewsbury hospital for 4 days.
Anyone who has been in hospital will know that days are like weeks and you soon become 'hospitalised' and part of the routine of the place. I was on a mixed ward with two women and two men and we had a fantastic time; we hit it off straight away and were soon firm friends.
Part of our routine was established on my first day - that of a cup of tea and a slice of toast for supper when the visitors had gone and we were settling for the night. We would lie waiting expectantly for it. If there was any doubt that we would be having our toast an atmosphere of great disappointment filled the ward - the nurses were too busy tonight? Would they bring our toast? Would we have to settle down to sleep without it?
                                                                                     We waited.
Then the familiar smell would waft through the double doors - warming, browning bread, soon to be smeared with a hint of butter (it was coronary care after all) and presented to us with our drooling mouths and rumbling tummies.
Well, I may be waxing a little lyrically here but it WAS so integral to our peace of mind and recovery! All was well with the world as we munched on our toast!
So it seems entirely fitting that this book which I am so passionate about, will be the one I am able to distribute on the wards next Saturday. Thank you NHS - for everything! Enjoy your toast!

1 comment:

  1. I am sure all the people in the hospital will be drooling over "Toast" too. Well done Beverly for entering the competition, the ladies in the bookshop for joining in and Duncan doing a lot of lugging of boxes! Love Pam xx

    ReplyDelete