Tuesday 7 December 2010

No Comment!


Love it or hate it Face book is an incredible success. Over the past few days people on my "friends" list have joined in a campaign to help prevent violence against children by changing their profile picture to a cartoon character from childhood, thus promoting the happy times and memories these characters conjured up. I don't know HOW this helps against child abuse but was prepared to believe it as it was a very good cause. It was incredible! Every time I logged on to Face book I saw Beryl the Peril, Sponge Bob Square Pants, Bod, Sleeping Beauty.....such a lot of fun and so colourful and yes, it did evoke memories of childhood; in my case Harry's childhood as I was Buzz Lightyear! "To infinity and beyond!!!" That character has memories for both me and Harry.
Now reports are coming in suggesting it was all a paedophile hoax and it was designed to help inter action between children who would be drawn by the cartoonies and the predators. Well, again, I don't know how that would work either. Maybe I am just too gullible. I enjoyed it and as far as I'm concerned, it was innocent.
Another thing I fail to understand, while we are on the subject of Face book, is when you join a 'social inter action' site how can you have a setting that won't allow anyone to "Like" or "Comment" on what you write or post? And why would you want to? Is it because you believe only your voice is worth listening to and no one could add, or even should want to add, anything to your declaration? This is not social inter action is it?
Not many of my "friends" have adopted this setting. Maybe they're just not my friends!

5 comments:

  1. I still struggle to make sense out of Face Book if I do manage to put anything on it is often more by luck than judgement. However, these days anything that people find enjoyment in ,is always seen as a target by less scrupulous members of society for their own nefarious purposes Sad but true. love Mum/Pamxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my mother-in-law has swallowed a dictionary!!!!
    Thanks for reading. I think you are my only reader these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still checking in every week or so, sorry for not letting you know by commenting! We must meet up soon, still miss you lots.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please don't feel I meant you Lucy! It's the face book people who don't allow comment on their statuses that I'm meaning!!! Miss you too. Worshipping together especially! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realised that the blog post was about Facebook, but I was replying to the above comment to your mum-in-law, I didn't want you thinking that she was your only reader ;-) Talking of Facebook, Chris has discovered it recently and I can't get him off the thing! Any ideas for a Facebook widow?????

    ReplyDelete