Monday 6 December 2010

Greed?


I am an unashamed fan of cookery programmes. I watch Nigella, Nigel Slater and Jamie Oliver with great interest and enjoyment; each have a great knowledge of food and what marries with what, each has a very different style. Jamie's 30 Minute meals are excellent and even though it may take me a bit longer than the expert it's still good to get a well cooked, fresh meal in under an hour! Nigel is slower and more ponderous in his delivery and presentation; his recipe books are very well written, his command of the English language drawing all of your senses in as you read. And Nigella? I was caused to think about my enjoyment of Nigella's programmes by someone commenting that she thought Nigella encouraged greed and wrong moral values in her presentation of food.
Mmm! She is certainly unstinting in her delight in butter, olive oil and all things chocolate. Is it immoral? I have thought about it for awhile and I rather think that I will continue to be a fan, despite the fact that I blame her for my increased weight! She enjoys food and she delights in all aspects of it, as indeed do I, but she is also an antidote to the society which increasingly seems to suggest that enjoying food is a sin and we should be concentrating on maintaining a stick-like figure at all costs! Maintain? I have never been stick-like!
Food is to be enjoyed in all its varieties. Yes, we must guard against over indulgence but not banish all expressions of excess. A bit of what you fancy does do you good. I tend to think that the overindulgence is just Nigella's adopted style which has become her "way"! She is a larger than average woman who delights in food and has a rather large appetite. Rather like me!

1 comment:

  1. The saying goes that you should never trust a THIN COOK -- it won't apply to either of us! Love Mum/Pamxx

    ReplyDelete