Thursday 25 November 2010

You DO bring Me Flowers!


I am so grateful that Duncan loves flowers and more specifically, that he loves buying them for me. There aren't many days that I don't have some blooms in a vase in our lounge, and we both get real pleasure from their beauty and, in my case, their perfume. Poor Duncan is a martyr to his hay fever in the Summer months!
I know some people would argue that flowers should be left growing in the ground and not picked to grace someone's living room, but now that we really don't much that we can call a garden, my vase, of roses, in this case, are even more dear to me.
My only regret about our wedding day was that I allowed myself to be talked into having artificial flowers that would "look just as good" and that I could "keep for ever"! Well, they did look OK but they smelt of...nothing, and they didn't feel like have the delicate silkiness that real petals should be to the touch. And as for keeping them forever... they disintegrated into a dusty heap in a box on the top of the wardrobe years ago, and they still didn't smell of anything - well nothing pleasant! But that was the only regret in an otherwise wonderful day. And I have had many, many flowers since that have made up for it.

My sister had real flowers! Red gerberas were the choice for bridal bouquet, bridesmaids' bouquets and spray on the Pastor's hat! The fact that my sister lives in Turkey and got married at the hottest time of the year (August 21st) meant that to have anything but wilted blooms was an impossibility! Added to that the fact that they arrived from the florist jumbled up in a plastic supermarket carrier bag meant that the flowers were not the desired centrepiece that Chris had imagined!
But, as Chris always says..."This is Turkey!"

PS You should ask her about the wedding cake!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful roses......I miss buying flowers here...they don't have cut flowers to buy here.My posy for our wedding was lovely...the best of the bunch....so to say!!!The wedding cake...well!!!!They make their cakes fresh and 'on the day'....ours had about 15 smaller cakes arranged around a rising stand and had fireworks on the top.It was nothing like Phil and I had designed and we had been in the shop(Sultan's Patisserie-best in town)about a dozen times before the wedding making sure they knew what we wanted-even taking in our friend,Umit,to translate for us.We said definitely no banana!!!!!!What did we get???Yep you're ahead of me!!Having said all this the cake was delicious and quite spectacular when they lit the fireworks!!Lovely day though x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a talking point that Duncan wrote a poem about it! Good poem too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes those roses are beautiful - I noticed them when we came on Wednesday. Hope you are able to enjoy them for a long time. love
    Pam/Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. 111 of the 12 still going strong today!! (Friday)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought you prayed a prayer of multiplication over then Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  6. December 7th and they're still going!!!

    ReplyDelete